Local, state and global
- Thank you corporate donors ! – Recent renewals in include Queen City Cycles (Bart Stetler, owner), Gutter Shutter Company (Jeff Viscount, owner), the Hawley Company and Bicycle Sport (Ben Cooley, owner).
- Mark your calendar – first time ever – North Carolina bike ped Summit – in Raleigh – October 13. Details forthcoming. Sponsored in part by CABA’s partnering organization – NCATA (North Carolina Active Transportation Alliance).
- News Flash: Possible merger of 3 top national bike advocacy organizations – CABA member Geoff Steele sent us this one. the Alliance for Bicycling and Walking (ABW), Bikes Belong and the League of American Bicyclists (LAB ) are currently negotiating a way to become one entity, but how or if this happens willl not be finalized until late 2012.
- Daimler/Mercedes Benz rolls out the Smart eBike. Yes, it’s official. As a pedelec (Pedal Electric Cycle) the smart ebike is strictly speaking a hybrid: the electric motor – a maintenance-free rear-wheel hub motor from BionX – switches on as soon as the rider starts pedalling, as with a normal bicycle. Muscle power is transmitted to the rear wheel via a lubricant-free, durable and quiet belt drive. An integrated three-speed gear hub enables simple gear changing. Will this be the next stage of evolution for urban global cycling ? CLICK: Ebike for details.
- We wish you a speedy recovery ! – Chris Gladora and James Stewart are on the mend from recent crashes on the sometimes not-so-friendly streets of Charlotte. Our sympathies, and we hope to see you back on your two-wheelers soon !