In and around Charlotte
- Bike lanes coming to Uptown at S.Tryon overpass – Yes, for sure. The connector over I-277 should have lanes on both sides of the street and a widened sidewalk by December 31, of 2012 !
- New Chairperson for BAC committee – Jane Cacchione, CABA Advisory Board member and a key player on the local bike scene has replaced CABA member Dick Winters. The Bicycle Advisory Committee advises the Mayor, City Council and County Council on bicycle policy and related isssues. Chris Gladora, also a CABA member, is the latest appointee. Welcome aboard Chris.
- CABA to meet with NCDOT in Raleigh – In case you didn’t know, Paul Morris is the recently appointed Deputy Director of NCDOT (that’s about as good as it gets) and he oversees the entire bicycle and pedestrian planning staff. We hope to team up with other NC bike advocates to talk about the crisis in bike funding in the U.S. Congress and the NC “Complete the Streets” guidelines now under final review.
- Solar panels on roof of IKEA – Thanks to Mary Hopper, University City Partners, who sent us this item. Yes, IKEA already has a huge set of bike racks, but they are now demonstrating further their commitment to the challenge of a new green economy. Panels should be in place later this year. Congratulations IKEA !
- WANTED: Additional members to CABA Board of Directors – This is a real opportunity to contribute to the cause of safe and fun cycling for our community. We are especially interested in diversifying the board – women, minorities, young adults. Energy and enthusiasm a must ! Public relations skills, volunteer coordination, fundraising talent, or social events coordination are key skill needs. Contact us and tell us who you are: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- District 5 Councilman John Autry – John has been appointed chairperson of the Environmental Committee and member of the Transportation and Planning committee by Mayor Foxx. Both committees can have a huge impact on bicycling and walking in the Queen City. John is the first CABA member to be elected to public office in the Charlotte area.