In and around Charlotte
- Hey, it’s vacation time everyone ! ~No Monthly Forum in July. CABA Forums are typically the first Tuesday of each month at Kickstands Burgers and Brew on Central Avenue and Heath Court, a few blocks towards Uptown from the Plaza Midwood Library.
- Thank you corporate sponsors ! ~ Alan”Teelo” Teeling/Bike Depot in Waxhaw, Nick and Steve/Espada Cycles in NoDA. Josh Rimany/Dilworth Pharmacy in Kenilworth Commons on East Blvd. Says Josh: “Any CABA membe who bikes to my pharmacy gets 10% off purchases. ” Bring your membership card with you folks.
- CABA is now listed ~ Bank of America’s matching gift program. That means that if you are a BofA employee and donate to CABA via BoFA, BofA matches your donation 1 to 1. If you are a BofA employee or have some friends / cyclists who are BofA employees now is your chance to support the cause of cycling in our community ! Donate now !
A bummer ~ Mary Newsom, Associate Editor and op-ed columnist/Charlotte Observer, an authority on livable cities, sustainability and smart growth (and a pro- bike ally) has taken early retirement . We will miss her greatly. (Rumor has it that she is being hired by REBIC as their VP for public relations!). Meanwhile, she has rebooted her Naked City blog and is on Twitter.
- Another bummer ~ Davis Cable, until recently Exec. Director of the Catawba Lands Conservancy has left his position but continues as an adviser to CLC. Dave has been at the helm in growing the organization since its inception, and he was been a key player in making the Carolina Thread Trail a reality. We eagerly await Dave’s yet-to-be named permanent successor.
- New members – CABA Board of Advisors – Congratulations to Andrew Israel, (Bank of America), John Cock (Alta Design), and Jeff Viscount (CEO – Gutter Shutter Company, Weekly Rides website). Welcome aboard !
- J. E. burns his rubber ~ CABA member and Critical Mass founder, Joey Emanual, tells us he and his lackeys embark on July 17 for a cross- the-USA bike ride. Best of luck Joey and make sure to wear a helmet !