Contact Raleigh

Still time to contact Raleigh – !

Traffic safety and insurance recovery bill (HB 813/SB679) needs your  support

Voting on the bill has been postponed for at least a week, so there is still time to contact your representatives.

This is an extremely important bill is before the legislature right now that can bring long overdue equity to insurance recovery in crash situations for bicyclists (and pedestrians and car drivers as well).

Ann Groninger, Attorney with NCBIKELAW and an active CABA member has spearheaded this effort in conjunction with the North Carolina Active Transportation Alliance (NCATA) and a statewide legal justice group. We need you to contact Raleigh before it is too late.


PRESS RELEASE May 28, 2010

Contact Person: Ann Groninger, –  Attorney with NCBIKELAW ( / ph.919.818.8369)

Health care and skyrocketing insurance rates are major issues as is the shocking level of fatalities on our local and state highways.

This is why the North Carolina legislature must vote to replace what lawyers call “Contributory Negligence” with “Comparative Fault”. .  46 other states have “Comparative Fault” laws. Fifteen of these have the lowest insurance rates in the US. Now it’s the State Assembly’s chance to stand up to the insurance industry and fight for fairness, equity and safety.

North Carolina holds onto an outdated law which is grossly unfair to all, and particularly to the most vulnerable road users: bicyclists, pedestrians or motorcyclists because it prevents them from collecting any damages in a crash situation where they have even a small percentage of fault. This means that if a truck driver who kills a bicyclist is judged by a jury to be 90% at fault, but the bicyclist who was killed was 10% at fault, the family of the bicyclist has no grounds for a claim. This may make bookkeeping a lot easier for the insurance companies, but it doesn’t lower the average citizen’s rates one iota.

*            *            *


If you know your 9-digit zip code, follow these links to easily locate your representatives:

If you do not know your 9-digit zip code but know your voting districts, find your representatives by pulling up your voter information and clicking on “my districts” in the middle of the page:

If you do not know your voting district, find it here:


1.  Ideally, when you contact a legislator, reference the bill number: SB679/HB813.  If you cannot remember the bill number, just reference “ending contributory negligence.”

2.  Keep it short.

3.  You are most effective if you are contacting your own legislator, although in an urban county like Wake or Mecklenburg that is less important.

4.  Be polite.  Being critical or insulting is just not helpful.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: